Chapter 4 The Burger Business
Chapter Topic: overview
This chapter is about burger business and famous food products. The main passage is a magazine article about McDonald’s, and how it was built up from one restaurant into a world-wide chain. Other famous products are featured in the Language section. In the writing section, students are asked to use a plan to write an article about the history of a fictional company. The main passage serves as a model for this writing task.
The first period
1. Knowledge and skill objectives: some new words in the text, to provide students some background information by testing them McDonald’s I.Q.
2. Procedure and method objectives: Help students learn about the brief history of McDonald’s and its key to success, such as its motto, through fast reading skills.
3. Attitude, Emotional and Value objectives: Find out the reasons for the popularity and success of McDonald’s via group discussion.
Help students learn about the brief history of McDonald’s and its key to success, such as its motto, through fast reading skills.
Find out the reasons for the popularity and success of McDonald’s via group discussion.
I. Lead in
A. word competition
1. Think about the words that are connected with McDonald’s.
e.g. fast food, hamburger, French chips, happy, friendly, young, children, Uncle McDonald, red and yellow, I’m lovin’ it, clean…
2. Finish Skimming A1-2: use the given adjs to describe McDonald’s.
B. A quiz
Some questions about your McDonald’s I.Q.:
1. Who set up the first McDonald’s hamburger stand? (C)
2. Who founded/established McDonald’s company? (D)
A. Mac McDonald B. Dick McDonald
C. brothers McDonald D. Mr. Ray Kroc
3. It will take you ______ minutes to drive from one McDonald’s to another nearest one in
A. 4 B.
4. According to a survey, compared with 35% of people in U.S. A., _______ of those surveyed Chinese eat in a fast food restaurant once a week? (C)
A. 21% B. 31% C.41% D. 51%
1. Finish Skimming A2
2. Paraphrase some paragraphs to get the main idea according to some words given:
Para1-3: Mr. Ray Kroc went to visit/observe a new fast food restaurant.
Para4-7: With the two brothers’ permission, Mr. Ray Kroc set up many braches, then bought all rights to McDonald’s and the business expanded quickly.
Para 8-9: McDonald’s was introduced into
Para13: Imagine about the future business.
3. Retell the start history of the business according to the words given.
Mr. Ray Kroc, milk shake machine, go to visit, a drive-in hamburger stand, a team of…, cleaned and washed, cheerful, impressed, set up more outlets, didn’t expand further, allow…to…, other branches…
(1) Scan the text and fill up a table to know the development of McDonald’s.
(2) Scan the text to find out the 4-letter motto for McDonald’s and know what they stand for.
1. What does McDonald’s do to achieve its motto? (Refer to para11-12)
2. List some more reasons why McDonald’s is so popular.(Providing some pictures to encourage ideas)
a. aiming at children
b. introducing new items to its menu
c. inviting superstars to promote its products
d. creating original ads to promote its products
e. presenting promotion sales regularly
f. brand smile, relaxed and friendly atmosphere…
3. According to the passage, what kind of person is Mr. Kroc in dealing with business?
Be curious and careful, perceptive; be ambitious, be diligent and creative, be a pioneer…
III．Make a summary
1. Retell the story about the start of the business
2. Try using the reasons why McDonald’s is so popular to design your own business (take the passage as an example):
a. the name of the business and its location;
b. the scale(规模) of it;
c. why to start it; d. how to run it successfully.
The second-fourth period
1. Learn the detailed information in the text.
2. Learn some new words and phrases through doing some exercises.
Learn some new words and phrases in the text：not…but…, team&staff; keep doing, keep up doing sth., no doubt, it’s likely that….
I. Warming up
1. Retell the story
2. How to lead a successful life according to the passage?
II. Important Language points:
1. business n. (1) 商业；生意
business hours(营业时间), ~ lunch（工作午餐）,do business with; go into business(下海经商)/ go out of business（破产）; go on business
（2）职责；本分 get down to business.
It’s none of your business./Mind your own business.这不关你的事.
It’s a teacher’s business to teacher students.教授学生是老师的职责。
Business is ~公事公办。
mean business: be serious in one’s intentions
e.g. 1) Susan is not a nurse but a doctor.
What attracted Joe was not the process but the result.
It’s not what you say but what you do that counts.
2)In fact, not the two girls but their mother was keen on fashion.
c.f. not only…but also… 不但…而且…
1) 连接并列平衡结构时，有时also可省略，并可转换成not only…but…as well.
e.g. Jack can not only drive a car but (also) fly a plane.=Jack can not only drive a car but fly a plane as well.
2) not only…but (also)…也同样遵循就近原则。此外，还有neither…nor…, either…or…, there be…, 也是如此。
3. traditional adj. 传统的；（syno.）old-fashioned, reserved;
(attri) ~ costumes 传统服装；~ customs 传统习俗；
e.g. It’s traditional to eat mooncake at mid-autumn festival every year in
n. tradition by ~ 根据传统
By tradition, people play tricks on the eve of Halloween(万圣节).
It’s a tradition to sing “Auld Lang Syne” on New Year’s Eve. 在除夕唱“友谊地久天长” 是传统风俗。
打破传统：break with tradition; 遵循传统：observe the tradition
4. drive-in a drive-in cinema/bank take away (外卖)
Hamburger stand 汉堡包外卖店 stand n. small store; stall
e.g. news-stand/bookstall 书报亭 news vendor卖报人
5. team n. which team do you play for?
a good team worker 好搭档 team spirit 合作/团队精神
a team of 32 players n. (CGP)—注意谓语动词可单数或复数
e.g. Lakers is a promising team.
Lakers are/is the better team.
² 相关链接staff （CGP）(1) 全体雇员，职工（2）全体行政人员
e.g. They need more staff in the office.
The staff here are very efficient and friendly.
Lily has a staff of 12.
同时，它还可以做定语：a staff room, meeting 员工活动室，会议
（3）手杖，棍棒 a long wooden staff
Notice: CGP means collective nouns(集合名词)；大体分为两种情况：一类如people, clothes, police,cattle等，此类词本身不加”s”, 其后通常用谓语动词复数: e.g. Many people have met with the same difficulty.
另一类，如team, staff, class, group, crew, family, audience，orchestra此类词本身既可单数又可复数，其后的谓语动词也跟着前面的单复数进行相应的变化。
e.g. The audience was/were very excited at the sight of the superstar.
The new movie-theatre contains an audience of 1200.
6. be opened for business 对外开放营业
vi. The door doesn’t open inwards. 这扇门不是朝里开的。
The door won’t open. 这扇门打不开。
vt. open a business, a bank, a hospital新开张
open a door, a window 打开门，窗 open fire开火；
open one’s mind/heart to sb.对某人开诚相见。
keep on doing=go on doing sth.继续做某事
e.g. The baby kept crying when it didn’t saw her mother.
After the baby finished drinking milk, it kept on crying.
keep sb. doing 让某人一直做某事
keep+adj. e.g. keep warm/calm/awake/fit
phr v. keep away from远离； keep out! 小心！
keep sb. going帮助某人渡过难关 keep sth. going继续经营
keep sb. from doing sth.防止某人/物做某事（不能省略from）
8. impress vt. 使某人印象深刻，给某人留下印象
1）sth. impress sb.
e.g. Their performance last night impressed all the audience.
Janet took down whatever impressed her during the journey.
2）someone be impressed with/by sth.某人被某事深深打动
e.g. The students were deeply impressed by/with the rapid development of these dot.com companies in
3) phr. v. sb. impress on/upon sb. sth.
e.g. Our teacher impressed on us the value of confidence.老师让我们铭记知识的价值/信心的重要性.
e.g. The sound effect of King Kong was impressive. “金刚”的音响效果引入入胜。
First impression are most lasting. 先入为主。
Phr. v. sth. give sb. a impression=sb. leave./make a…impression on/upon sb.某人对某事有印象 =sb. have a(n)…impression of sth.
Someone be under the impression that… 某人有印象
9. read vt. 1) 看书，读报纸 read the book/newspaper
2) 看懂read a map识图 read music识谱 read a riddle猜出谜语
3）上面写着 We don’t say “it writes/wrote”
e.g. The poster reads/says “No smoking!”
The full text reads as follows. …全文如下。
4) idm. and phr. v.
² read aloud/out/off 朗读
read about the murder in the newspaper
read through/over 从头到尾细读一遍
read between the lines看出言外之意
read one’s mind看出某人的心思 read the metre读表，读度数
look for 寻找；查找的过程
e.g. find out the truth/that 从句
2. suggest 句型 建议，提议…
1) suggest sth. to sb. 向某人提议某事物
suggest that…should+do (虚拟语气)
2) 暗示，表明 suggest that从句（从句用陈述句语气）
e.g. His expression suggested that he didn’t like the idea.
n. suggestion on/at one’s suggestion 遵照某人的建议
make a suggestion that 虚拟语气从句
3. set up 1) set sb. up 使某人有钱创业，买房子等 set sth. up1）摆放，建立起 set up a monument/statue（塑像）
2）建立，开创（基金、组织） establish or create sth. set up a fund基金
3）创下（记录）=establish (in sport ) e.g. set up a new world record
4) 造成或产生某事物cause or produce sth. set up a chain reaction
phr. set up outlets=establish outlets
² outlet经销店 chain stores连锁店
² branch分店 exclusive store专卖店
e.g. Metals expand when (they are) heated.
expand into 扩展成
vt. expand sth. into sth.
Why not expand your story into a novel?
n. expansion 扩大，扩展，膨胀
e.g. the expansion of gases/one’s business interests
c.f. 1）expend vt. ~ sth. on /upon sth./doing sth. expend time and effort on the project ~ one’s fuel 用光、耗尽某人的燃料
2）extend vt. i）伸展，延长，延展extend a wall/railway
ii）伸展，舒展肢体 extend one’s legs/arms
iii) 提供或给与某事物 give or offer ~ sth. to sb.
phr. extend on invitation/a greeting to sb.
The citizens extended a warm welcome to the prime Minister. 向总理表示热烈欢迎
Vi．伸展，伸延 The road extends for miles and miles.
e.g. The horse was fully extended by the long ride(=be worn out)
另注意，近形字extent i) 长度，面积，范围
e.g. The new race track is nearly 5miles in extent.这条新跑道将近5英里长。
Idm: to some /such an extent 达到某种程度
5. further adj.& adv. far, farther, farthest 远地 further, furthest进一步
e.g. have a further discussion
I can’t go any further than that. 我做的不能超过这些。
v. further one’s study
6. in history 历史上的 our history teacher 历史老师
ancient/medieval/modern history a history of heart disease 患心脏病的经历
a history of violent/economic crime有暴力/经济犯罪纪录
adj. historic历史意义的 ~ times/occasion
historical 有关历史的~ records/book/novel
7. follow swiftly 紧随其后
e.g. The lightening was quickly followed by/with heavy thunder. 闪电过后，紧接的是雷声。
swiftly, rapidly, quickly
adj. swift be swift to do sth./in doing sth.
e.g. Jack was swift to condemn the violence.
8. right adj.&adv. 正确的/地，真正的；右边的；适当的/地，合适的/地
e.g. Learn to do the right thing at the right time.
e.g. Look me right in the eye
右边的，右边Keep to the right!
n. 权利 have the right to do sth. have the right to vote有投票权
tell right from wrong 明辨是非 stand on one’s rights 坚持自己的权利
bought all rights to McDonald’s 买下了麦当劳的所有权
all rights to this album are owned by the Rolling Stone Corp.
All rights reserved. 版权所有。 The rights and wrongs of 真相
It serves sb. right 某人罪有应得。
9. annual sales 年销售额 annual report/income
sale n. for sale 有待出售；on sale 降价出售
pl. sales 销售额，销售量 sales manager, sales production
10. critic n. 评论家，批评家
V． criticize 挑剔，批评 ~ sb./sth. for sth.
e.g. He criticized the boy for his rudeness.
critical adj. 1)批评的a ~ report/remark
2) 评论手法的 the film has received critical acclaim. 影片受到了评论界的赞誉。
3) 决定性的，关键的 at a critical moment/time
1.Be accepted as part of Hong Kong 认为某事物属实believe sth…
an accepted fact 一个公认的事实
2. adopt vt. 1) 收养（孤儿，宠物）~ an orphan, a pet
have sb. adopted 让别人去收养某人 adj. adopted an adopted child
2）采取，采纳 adopt a new technique 采用了一条新技术
3) n. adoption 收养，采纳
c.f. adapt 1) 修改某事物为适应新的用途adapt the machine for use underwater 2）改编剧本 This novel has been adapted for a movie
3）使某人/或某物适应新环境 ~ oneself to sth.
e.g. We quickly adapted ourselves to the climate there.
Our eyes slowly adapted to the dark.
n. adaptation 适应，适应性；改编本
3. stand for e.g. 代表WTO stands for “World Trade Organization”.
NPC stands for National People’s Congress.全国人民代表大会
Stand a chance 有希望，有机会； stand by 袖手旁观
4. pay great attention to detail to 为prep. 关注细节
1) give full attention to what sb. is doing 全神贯注于某人所做的事=fix one’s attention on what one does/did/is doing
attract one’s attention 吸引某人的注意力
come to/stand at attention 立正
2) 细节；u.n. 详情give me all the details (c.n.) go into details详细叙述
In detail详细地 describe the picture in detail adj. detailed
5. achieve vt. 1) complete 完成，达成 2）实现gain ;reach
e.g. ~ the success/one’s ambition 实现抱负/理想
n. achievement 1) un. 完成，实现the achievement of one’s aims
2) c.n. 成绩，成就the greatest scientific ~
6. import vt. ~ sth. from/into some countries 进口，输入，引进
e.g. the latest pop music imported into
n. import u.n. action of importing goods 进口，输入，引入
the import of coal 煤炭的进口 c.n. (pl.)=imported goods 进口货物 expensive foreign imports 昂贵的外国进口货 （anto.）export
Export n. un. 出口，输出 a ban on the export of gold/wine/tobacco
c.n. (pl.) 出口物，输出物=exported goods
e.g. What are the chief /main exports to
Attri the import/export trade 进出口贸易 import/export duties 进出口税
7. properly adv. 合适地，正确地
e.g. When properly trained, this kind of dogs can help the police do the job.
c.f. correctly, 正确地，准确地exactly, 精确地 properly 适当地
adj. proper be ~ for the ~ way to take photos
8. as well as 1) and 连接并列结构 谓语动词由此词组的前一个主语决定
注意 as well as 还有“与…一样好”的含义; 试比较：
He speaks French as well as English. 他的法语与英语说得一样好。
He speaks French as well as he speaks English. 他不仅会说英语还会说法语。
Jack as well as you is an artist.
e.g. 1) Television is another instrument of communication, permitting us to see as well as to hear the performance.
2) Thomas was a real friend, for he advised me as well as helped me with my business.
当as well as放在句首时，作为in addition（除了）讲，后接动名词：
e.g. As well as visiting the
9. pack vt. 大包，装箱pack one’s clothes into…
A pack lunch 盒饭 vi. ~ into sth. 便于装运
e.g. These books won’t pack into one box.
This toy packs easily. 易于装箱。
Idm: 挤满 s.p. be packed with some people.
n. 1) 包裹，背包 backpack 2) 一包 a pack(packet) of crisps/candies
3）一群,一帮，一伙；（CGP）a pack of wolves/thieves
10．look into one’s eyes=look sb. in the eye 看某人的眼睛，与某人进行眼神交流
Look into: investigate 调查（事件）look back to/on 回顾过去
Look upon/on sb. as… 把某人当作look out 注意
11. include vt. 包括 （anto.）exclude排除
e.g. The competition included a quiz about health.
They all went to see the film, the McDonalds included./including the McDonalds.
12．It is said that…(见Language讲解)
13. no doubt n. 疑惑，怀疑 毫无疑问 no doubt/without doubt
We have no doubt of his ability. 我们相信他的能力。
e.g. No/Without doubt you will achieve all the success you deserve.
=There is no doubt that you will… (Right)=It is no doubt that you will…(Wrong)
=It is no wonder that….(Right)
Phr. have doubts about sth. & throw doubt on 对...产生怀疑
Make no doubt of…对… 毫不怀疑
Adj. doubtful 可疑的doubtless 无疑的=no doubt
e.g. Doubtless you will achieve all the success you deserve.
1) I doubt that he will keep his word. 怀疑
2) I do no doubt that he will keep his word. 不怀疑
3) I doubt whether he will keep his word.怀疑
在这种情况下，1）与3）意思相近；而一般情况下，I doubt 后跟由wh-引导的从句；I do not doubt 后跟由that引导的从句。
² the McDonalds麦克唐纳夫妇/一家人
² the McDonald brothers麦克唐纳兄弟俩
III. Do some practice EX C.D.E
IV. Make a summary
1. Double New ”Test One” “Test Three” 2. Word book P20-23
the fifth period
Knowledge and skill objectives:Listening: Listen to some facts about McDonald’s;
Writing: Following a plan
1. Daily talk: How to lead a successful life?
2. Review the important language points
II. Listening tasks:
Listen to some fascinating McDonald’s facts, and supply the missing information.
Some new words and expressions;
Food service organization, operate a few restaurants, expect to do, meet its customers’ demand, world-wide (世界范围的) ,sesame seeds, Big Mac buns, on average, crack(磕碎) the eggs, serve breakfast to sb.; line up end to end.
III. Writing：Following a plan
1. plan=outline, main idea
Review the text and draw an outline/plan of the passage, and help students know the importance of a plan in writing.
2. Writing tasks:
(1) Read the plan about “Satay World” and have a discussion
Discussion: How to use the materials on P72-73 to fulfill the given plan.
(2) Study the speech by sunny Li, the famous fast food businessman, the founder of the “Satay World” business.
Try to find out the answers to the questions in Para 1 and
(3) Read the table about the statistics of “Satay World” restaurants.
Then answer two questions in the
(4) Read the dialogues and conclude the reasons for success:
e.g. The people like “Satay World” because: the food: great, tasty.
price: low service : fast the staff : friendly
the restaurant’s environment: clean and attractive; different and relaxing designs ; and always keep the same style in any chain restaurant, which makes one feel reliable.
(5) Notice: we should select some of the materials.
IV. Make a summary
1. Write an article about “Satay World” according to the given plan.
the sixth period
1. Knowledge and skill objectives:
(1) Integrated skills: Recognize some written styles in formal and informal way and help students to obtain/form a conception of formality or informality for different writing tasks.
(2) Listening skills: Listen to a brief history of Akio Morita and fill in the blanks; then write a short article about Akio Morita and his company.
1. To pay attention to obtaining/forming a conception of formality or informality for different writing tasks.
2. To learn some skills of using notes.
1. Daily talk 2. revision: language points
II. Integrated skills:
A. Formal and informal writing
(1)Compare different styles between the two writings:
Formal Writing Informal Writing
Tone: Polite, respectful friendly, natural
Words: Careful, sometimes difficult less careful, easy
Grammar: correct less important
Handwriting: best or printed less important
Spelling: no contractions(缩写) or speech forms contractions are acceptable
(2) Learn a scale of formality/informality, and finish the relative exercise.
Discuss and finish the exercise: Put the different types of writing on the scale.
e.g. a shopping list may be put between 1-2, which means very informal style.
While a letter from a government can be put between 8 and 9, which means rather formal.
B. Taking and using notes.
1. learn some skills of taking notes
2. Listen to a short article about Akio Morita and fill in the blanks;
Teachers should let the Ss know some features of notes, for example:
(1) The article has omitted less essential/important words, such as articles, pronouns, prepositions, etc.
(2) It omits irrelevant information.
(3) Sometimes it will use abbreviations or symbols.
(4) It is mainly in informal style.
3. some useful words and expressions:
autobiography; 生平介绍，自传； portable adj.可携带的
take off(1)飞机起飞 (2)事业有起色（成功） plastic industry塑料制品工业
market them very well娴熟地进行市场营销; technological ideas技术的理念
Write a short article about Akio Morita with the help of the notes.
III. Make a summary
Write a short article about the start of Sony and its founder Akio Morita.
The seventh-eighth period
1. Knowledge and skill objectives:
Language A. the passive voice; B. Sentence Pattern: It is said that…
C. Problem verbs D. Uncountable nouns.
Grasp the passive voice in different tenses; learn different forms features of uncountable nouns.
I. Warming up
A. the passive voice
(1) Conditions we use the passive voice.
Simple present am/is/are (not) done
Simple past was/were (not) done
Simple future will/won’t be done
Present continuous am/is/are (not) being done
Past continuous was/were(not) being done
Present perfect has/have (not) been done
Past perfect had (not) been done
(3) Notices of using the passive voice.
² Only transitive verbs can be used in the passive voice,
² Some verbs can’t be used in the passive voice, such as, intransitive verbs＊, link verbs, some words that measure the length, weight, size, etc.
＊intransitive verbs followed by other prep. or adv. sometimes can be changed into passive voice as a whole:
e.g. Two thieves broke into this bank yesterday afternoon.
→This bank was broken into by two thieves yesterday afternoon.
Vi: happen, seem, appear, belong, rise;
Link verb: taste, smell, sound, look, turn, grow, measure,weigh.
² transitive verbs which can’t be used in passive voices:
1) 以反身代词为宾语：The girl is teaching herself French.
2) 以相互代词为宾语：The contestants should help each other.
3) 带同源宾语的动词词组：dream a nice dream; live a hard life
Sell, wash, cook, write, read, wear, iron, open, eat, close, etc.
e.g. The novel sells well. (表示主语的内在特性)
The novel has been sold out. （被卖完）
The pen writes smoothly.（写起来）
The door won’t open.（开不开） Damp clothes iron easily.（容易熨烫）
² Pay attention to the passive voice of some non-verbs.
1) the passive voice of Non-predicate(非谓语动词)
不定式to be doing to /
doing have been done
现在分词 (not) having done (not) having been done
2) the passive voice of auxiliary verbs:
happen to be done
seem have been done had to
used to be done; be sure to be done
4) 补语为不带to的不定式:see, hear, make, let, have,etc.
e.g. Ann’s aunt brought her up in the country.
base A on B=A is based on B
e.g. break out, pass by, go on
B. Sentence structure: It is said that…
(1) Basic usage:
It is said that McDonald’s staff training programme is one of the best in the world.
=People say that McDonald’s staff training programme is one of the best in the world.
= McDonald’s staff training programme is said to be one of the best in the world.
It is said that “My Hero” was one of successful TV idol shows in 2006.
=People say that “My Hero” was one of successful TV idol shows in 2006.
=“My Hero” is said to have been one of successful TV idol shows in 2006..
(2) Other similar sentence structures:
It’s believed that…据人们相信… It’s reported that…据报道…
It’s stressed that…人们强调… It’s whispered that…据传闻…
It’s known(知道)/announced（宣告）/supposed （认为）/thought that…
It is generally considered/thought that…人们普遍认为…
It’s proposed/suggested that… 人们建议…(虚拟语气)
It is believed that he studied abroad last year.=He is believed to have studied abroad last year. (√) we cannot say: he is believed to study abroad last year.
C. Problem verbs:
Pay attention to the verbs which are followed by different prep.
e.g. be bored with sth.=get tired of doing sth. be impressed by/with
be interested in sth., be surprised at.. be disappointed at/about sth.
be disappointed in /with sb./ sth.; be fascinated by=be attracted by
be situated in/on somewhere 位于… be composed of由…组成
consist of (某物由某物组成，无被动语态)
The following verbs are more common in the passive voice, too:
e.g. be born in/on; be jailed; be fined, be sacked (罢免)，be wounded
D. Uncountable nouns
Classifications of uncountable nouns:
1) abstract nouns: activities, qualities, emotions, abstract ideas; substances;
e.g. business, work, service, honesty, meat, plastic, anger, boredom, success, democracy, etc.
2) Remember some uncountable nouns in English:
e.g. homework, housework, advice, news, information, equipment, furniture, clothing, baggage/luggage, rubbish, water, money, time, air, traffic,etc.
3) Some uncountable nouns end in -s:
politics, physics, mathematics, measles, plastics, economics, athletics(运动会)
4) Some words can be both uncountable noun and countable noun according to their different meanings:
e.g. fish (鱼肉) —fishes（各种鱼类）; light(光)—lights(灯)；
exercise（运动锻炼）—exercises（作业练习）; glass(玻璃)—glasses (眼镜)
5）We can use classifiers to measure some uncountable nouns:
6) Pay attention to the determiners (限定词) modifying different nouns:
Modify c.n.: many, many a, a good/great many; (a) few; (a) little, several, a great/large number of; masses of,etc.
Modify u.n.: much, little, a little, a great/deal of, a large amount of,
Modify both c.n. and u.n.: some, a lot of ,lots of, plenty of, enough, a large quantity of, quantities of, a mass of…
III. Relative practice
IV. Make a summary
1. Double new: Test Two 2. Paper quiz
The ninth-tenth period
More language input
Knowledge and skill objectives: Get the main idea of the material by filling the outline of the passage; some new words and expressions in the passage.
Procedure and method objectives: Let students use their word searching skills to finish EXs.
Attitudes, emotions and values objectives: understand the importance of chain stores in people’s daily life.
Get the main idea of the material by filling the outline of the passage; some new words and expressions in the passage.
I. Warming up
1. reading comprehension
II. More Language input
1. skim and scan
(1) Match the new words with the pictures
(2) Find the meanings—Finish EXA2
(3) Answer the following questions:
a. What can we find along a busy street?
All kinds of shops and stores and some chain supermarkets, etc.
b. How popular are chain stores with people?
Some people include them in their list of criteria when deciding where to live.
c. Why have chain stores grown so fast in number and influence?
To meet the customers’ demand and needs.
d. What is a new force changing
2. Listen to the passage and fill in the outline
3. Important language points
1. rise n. (1) 上升 improve the rise and fall of the
(2) (数量、价格) 上涨 increase
e.g. A rise in the price of vegetables/ of the value of the US dollar
(3) 斜坡，小山 small hill (4) 工资的增加increase in wages e.g. demand a rise (5) idm (fml) give rise to: cause 引起
Vi(1) 增加，上升（rise, rose, risen）
e.g. Dick is expecting his salary to rise as soon as possible.
The Great Wall rises and falls, twists and turns along the hill tops of mountain chains in northern
e.g. All the members rose the moment the music began.
Many rises at six clock every morning.
Early to bed and early to rise makes one happy, wealthy and healthy.
c.f. raise vt. (raised, raised)
e.g. The teacher was made to raise her voice to make herself heard.
e.g. Granny used to raise some hens.
(3) 筹措，收集 collect some money
e.g. The club is raising money to support the new election/help the victims in the flood/earthquake.
² arise vi (arose, arisen) 发生，出现 e.g. Side effects may arise after you take this medicine.
² Fill in the blanks:
When we saw the sun ________(rise) from the east, all of us _______(raise) our voice with joy. (Key: rising, raised)
With their hands ________ (raise), the students expected to be given the chance to express their idea. (raised)
e.g. This cannot compare with that. 这个无法与那个相比。
2. likely adj. 可能的 c.f. likely, probable, possible
It is likely that they will put off the meeting.= They are likely to put off the meeting.
It is likely that he has missed the train.= He is likely to have missed the train.
而： It is probable that与 It is possible that却不可以转换成不定式的句型。另外，likely前面可以加very, almost等修饰词。
3. pop vi (1) 砰地一声响
e.g. The balloons were popping throughout the celebrations. 庆祝会上气球爆炸声不绝于耳。
（2）爆玉米 vt. popcorn
(3) vi 眼睛突然睁大 e.g. The child’s eyes popped with astonishment.
(4) pop in and out 突然来去 （5）pop into view突然出现在眼前
n. pop music/art
4. pick up （1）pick up the litter on the ground 捡起，拾起 （2）pick up sb up at the school gate用车接某人；（3）pick up some French随意、快速地得到 （4）My radio can pick up BBC easily收听；（5）Let’s pick up the living room.收拾，整理
5. include, contain & involve
include vt. 把…包括，包含（数量）
contain vt. 含量，含有…的内容
involve vt 涉及，关系到
Fill in the blanks with include, contain or involve:
These vegetables _________ lots of vitamins, ________ vitamin E. (contain, including)
A team of explorers will be sent to the wild forest, Jason _________. (included)
A large number of countries were ________ in the war. (involved)
6. in their list of criteria
e.g. shopping list make a list of things
put sth./sb. on the list 将某人（物）列在单子上
criteria n. (pl.) criterion (single) 标准
e.g. the criteria for deciding the winner
7. influence n. influence on sb./sth.
e.g. the influence of the moon on the tides; the influence of the weather on tourism influence vt. 对...产生影响
e.g. It’s clear that her painting has been influenced by Picasso.
8. meet the customers’ needs= meet one’s demands =fill the requirement
9. convenient locations convenient adj. 方便的，便利的
e.g. If your are convenient, please bring me a box of cakes. (Wrong)
If it is convenient to you, please bring me a box of cakes. (Right)
It is convenient for the residents to see a doctor now, since there is a new hospital opened nearby.
e.g. I bought a dictionary for convenience. (以便有用)
phr v. at one’s convenience 随时随地 convenience food/store 方便食品；便利店
location n. a suitable location for the company locate v. be located in/on
10. next to prep. (i) beside 在…旁边，一侧
(iii) 几乎，近于 almost next to nothing (几乎没有) next to last 倒数第二
11．close to, near 接近 adj. close to each other (距离，年龄) 接近;
close to sb. 与某人关系密切
(2) 范围 a wide range of shoes/ toys (c.n.)/knowledge (u.n.)+ 单数谓语动词
A wide range of price=a wide price range
(3) 山脉 mountain range
vi (1) 在…范围内变化 ranging between I and 10=ranging from 1 to 10
(2) 漫步，漫游 range through woods
vt. 排列，整理，分类 e.g. range the goods on the shelves
There is a wide range of biscuits and cakes in the shop.
There are a wide/large variety of shoes in the shop. (谓语动词用复数)
13. well-lit adj. 灯光明亮的 构词法 well-dressed, well-educated
Light vt. lit lit 作动宾结构；lighted lighted 作定语
e.g. a lighted candle 一支点燃的蜡烛
He lit a candle. 他点燃了蜡烛。 The candles were lit. 蜡烛被点燃了。
14. environment n. a new ~ c.n. 一种新的环境 the environment
e.g. measures to protect the ~ 保护环境的措施
adj. environmental ~ pollution/problem 环境污染/问题
15．a welcome development 可喜的发展
16. a new force新生力量
17. 重点句型 It seems/seemed that Subject.+ do/did/have done/will do…
变形为：Subject.+ seems/seemed to + do/ be doing/ have done sth.
e.g. The price seems to be reasonable.= It seems (to me) that the price is reasonable.
III. Make a summary
Assignment: Double New Test Three